Friday 11 January 2008

A sneak peak into my finances

Another beautiful day. Everything outside is wet and there is no identifiable light source to be seen in the sky. Yes, it is another beautiful grey grey day. I'm not gonna leave my house today. I've just decided. I'm not going anywhere. I haven't got work tonight, I don't need to buy any food, in fact there is nothing for me in the outside world. Everything I need is right here in the house.

Oh shit... I gotta go to the bank. I just remembered that I got a phone call from my mum yesterday. The bank have sent me a letter and they are demanding £1500 from me by the 20th of this month. I'm not sure why. It's for my student account and it has an overdraft limit of around the same amount, why do they want it back? Hmmmm, maybe it's something to do with the other account I have with them. You see the other account has an overdraft limit of £300 but I haven't used it for the past year and a half because it's been acumulating £30 charges every month. I think the account is at something like £700 overdrawn (that's £400 over the limit they set me). You're probably wondering how I could let the account get in that state?

I wanna teach them a lesson and generally get on their nerves. About 2 years ago or maybe a bit more that account accidently went over its overdraft limit meaning I got one of those £30 charges, the only problem was the charge came out of my account when there was no money in it bringing my account over the overdraft limit again meaning I was to be faced with paying another charge. The way I see it they should only be able to charge you once and not keep charging you for the charges they keep giving you. I was in and out of the bank for weeks trying to sort that out. For a whole month the woman in the bank kept telling me to come back in a week while she puts in some sort of request with the head office against my charges. I let her know that I'm not gonna be putting any money back into that account unless they do something about the bank charges they are giving me. More than a month goes by before the people from head office or where ever give her the go ahead to clear some of my charges... She only clears £30 of it. The same £30 they would have given me during that month of waiting for them to clear my charges. So my bank account at this time was still £60 over the limit with another charge on its way.

Around this time I hear about those letters on the internet that some lawyers have drawn up on the internet that you can use to send into your banks head office to get the charges refunded. So I got one of those letters filled in my little bit, sent it off to the bank and had a load of money refunded back to me. I was in the clear... But, a couple of weeks later a charge comes out of my account putting it over the overdraft limit, but I know it had nothing to do with me. I hadn't used any direct debits or anything like that. It was the banks computer system that was doing it. You see, the bank had refunded me the money but the system that deals with the charges is automated and I still had another scheduled charge coming, but I wasn't aware of this at the time.

So the cycle started again. And I had lost patience. I decided I wasn't going to use that account anymore, my wages had been going into a different account for a while when this whole bank charges scenario started. I decided I'm going to teach those fuckers a lesson and see how long I can keep those charges mounting up on my account until they start trying to make demands to give it back, then I will send them a letter demanding they give all the money back. I know its reckless behaviour, but these banks take the piss so I'm taking the piss out of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always got your finger on the pulse http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7178766.stm