Thursday 24 January 2008

I'm poorly ill

An early post today as proof that I am up at a more reasonable time and active. In theory I have a busy day of work ahead of me so I'm using this blog as a sort of "warmup" to doing work, very much like what Richard Herring does with his blog "warmups", which was also what influenced me to start writing this thing anyway. Yes you could say I am ripping him off, but I'm saying influenced by - you say potato I say potaato (this btw is another inside joke for those who may have seen some of Richard Herring's stand-up, in which he satirises use of the word potato in that song and then goes on to critisize the French language for calling potato's "apples of the ground" when clearly a potato and an apple are two completely different things. Again, am I being influenced by him or just ripping him off? Well, it's more of a reference to him really. I'm kind of sourcing the information).

I haven't been very well the past few days. Myself and most of my housemates have come down with a cold although I don't think having a cold should be considered an illness. I know in a technical sense it means you're sick, but i would say it is more of a nuisance than a sickness. It only really has one physical symptom and that is my nose leaks. Constantly.
I suppose you have the sneezing too, so that could be considered another symptom. And sometimes my sinuses become infected as well, and that can hurt, but generally the only main symptom I have is that my nose leaks. That is a shit illness to have. It's not like it's bigger, tougher brother, the flu, that leaves you aching all over with a temperature, and at it's worse can incapacitate you leaving you bed ridden for a week.

I'm not saying that I would rather have the flu, but at least with the flu it makes you feel that unwell that you are justified in having time off work for it. A cold doesn't do this. With a cold I can still do things, but I do them in a generally cranky and agitated state because my nose is bunged up, leaking fluids, stopping me from breathing comfortably, and making me feel generally self concious when talking to people because I'm always worried they can see snot coming out of my nose.

A big mistake I make when i've got a cold is that I blow my nose far too much. This causes my nasal passage to become irritated so I end up sneezing even more frequently than a person usually would when they have this "illness". I'll have such long and terrible sneezing fits. Some people may have heard that urban legend a few years ago that if you sneezed ten times in a row you would have an orgasm? Who ever made that up probably thought that sneezing ten times in a row would be an impossible feat so they would never get caught in such a blatant lie, but I have sneezed that many times in one go and no, I've never achieved orgasm from it. It just left me with pains in my chest and snot and germs all over my hands.

Anyway, that's enough moaning for one day. It's time to get some work done. I'll just leave you with this youtube video that attempts to prove once and for the theory that "if you sneeze with you're eyes open you're eyes will pop out" - it won't dissapoint.

No comments: