Monday 7 January 2008

Running out of steam? I think not.

I can feel the enthusiasm I had for writing this blog is wanning away already, which strangely gives me all the more reason to continue. It's easy to do something when you're feeling really good about it or having a good day, but you're not really proving your dedication and commitment to something unless you're still doing it on the days where you feel you just can't be bothered to do anything. Because that's what i've done today... absolutely nothing. I didn't even get up until 3 this afternoon, and its not even as if I had to get out of bed as I slept on the couch last night. In my defence I got very little sleep. I wasn't feeling well. I was aching all over and thought I might be coming down with flu. I'm not, I think it's just a cold.

I feel there is very little else for me to talk about today but this was gonna be a problem when I made this promise to myself to post in my blog everyday without fail. So right now I'm thinking of a way of generating topics of conversation for myself on the days when I have little else to talk about. That way I won't have to post up uneventful and boring blogs like this one.

I suppose could talk about the two TV programs I have just watched. The first was an episode of Panorama called One Click from danger, which was another scare mongering piece about the danger kids are from stalkers on networking sites such as Facebook and Myspace. I find it difficult to watch a program like this without feeling as if I'm watching Chris Morris' Brasseye special on paedophilia.

I've been doing media based subjects for the past four years so I'm very aware of the fact that even supposedly "factual" programing is constructed in a very deliberate and careful way in order to get a certain message, or point of view across. But the brilliance of Chris Morris' Brasseye series is that when I watch a documentary such as that episode of Panorama or the program that followed it, Road Rage, I find myself laughing at the over the top way they dramatise everything.

One of the opening lines from the program on Road Rage could easily be appropriated for an episode of Brasseye without any exageration or tampering for comedic effect "CYCLISTS AND MOTORISTS ARE AT WAR! OUR ROADS ARE NOW A BATTLE GROUND!"

If anything, language like this, and the variety of other techniques programs like this utilise, only serve to trivialise serious and sensitive subject matter by taking it into the realms of ridiculous melodrama.

That's all for today. But I will leave you with this, a short clip of satirical brilliance from the infamous Brasseye special:

No comments: