Wednesday 23 January 2008

Doing a whole lot of nothing

I'm feeling quite bad right now as I have appeared to have lapsed some what into my old routine of doing nothing.

I haven't done anything today. I don't mean in the literal sense of doing nothing, I have in fact done many things today. For example I stayed in bed until 12 noon trying to sleep for much longer than is really necessary. I got up, had a shower, ate some food, played guitar for a little bit, put some washing on, helped tidy the house, put my washing in the newly fixed tumble dryer, played xbox, cooked dinner, checked my washing from the tumble dryer it was still wet, then watched two DVD's, checked the washing again, the clothes are still wet (I don't think the tumble dryer is working). Now I am writing this blog. It would seem I have done quite a few things today, though none of it productive, and in fact almost every activity I immersed myself in today was just a way to keep me from doing anything productive, like writing my feature script or my dissertation, or my minor project.

This avoidance of work has been happening for a few days. I've had other excuses for previous days, like hangovers, or working at blockbusters, but there's no excuse today. I'm promising myself I'll get an early night tonight, that always helps with doing work. Two of my housemates are really good at that. From about 10:30pm onwards it is rare for us to see them downstairs. We could be in the middle of watching something pretty good on TV and they'll still leave to go and get on with whatever they might be doing upstairs, and I imagine they're almost always in bed before midnight. But for me and the other two the day doesn't really start until 10:30pm. We're up until the early hours having a few drinks, smoking, watching DVD's or playing Mario Kart, and generally having a good time. Not like those other squares, upstairs in their rooms, miserable and getting all their work done, while we're downstairs living the good life, laughing and having fun without a care in the world.... until the morning (well, afternoon really), and I get up realising that I'm still behind on work; feeling too rough to know I'm not gonna get anything done today and waiting until the evening where I can kid myself some more into thinking everything is all right and I can have a good time.

At least I still have you blog. I've been pretty good with you haven't I? I write in you everyday..... What? I've missed out a couple of days? Yes, I know there has been the occasional slip up but I'm still here aren't I? Writing in you this very moment! And I keep on writing, even on the days when I really can't be bothered or have nothing to write about (which is becoming more and more of a common thing).... Now blog, don't get upset. Relationships aren't always easy, they do take hard work and commitment. I can't want to write in you everyday, like I'm sure you don't always find yourself attracted to me... Oh you do? All the time? Well that is understandable, I am an attractive guy.

The point I'm trying to get to is that writing this blog all the time shows that I am capable of doing something that I can't always be bothered to do on a regular basis. It's only been a few weeks so far but I'm suprised at myself for even doing it this long. I'll just focus on the thought that if I can keep something like this up for an extended period of time it means I am able to push myself into carrying out other productive activities on a regular basis as well, regardless of how enthusiastic I feel about it.

No comments: