Sunday 13 January 2008

A days absence from the daily blog

Oh no! I've been very bad and didn't write in my blog yesterday. It's the first time I've missed it since I've started. And although it wasn't really a fault of mine that I didn't do it I still felt guilty about it. I think this is because I really couldn't be bothered to write in it yesterday.

That didn't mean I didn't sit down to do it, but on both occasions that I tried something went wrong with the internet in our house. When I tried to go online yesterday morning it was refusing to connect so I could write nothing in the blog then, but a couple of hours later we sorted it out. At which point I was in the middle of doing some work on my dissertation and wanted to get as much of that done as possible before I went to work at Blockbusters. I decided I would write in my blog when I got back.

So come eleven o'clock in the evening, after walking some 2 and a half miles back from work to home I forced myself to sit down in front of the computer to write my blog but again the internet wasn't working. For about half and hour we kepts fiddling about with the router, switching it on and off, making sure the leads are connected but it did no good. I was gonna have to miss it out for the night. My housemate, Sophie, suggested that I write the blog up on microsoft word and post it the next day, but for some reason I can't write my blog unless I'm actually writing it on the eblogger site. I've tried to write it in word a couple of times before because it's easier to check for spelling and grammar but I just couldn't do it. I don't know why. I don't feel like i'm in the right mindset when I do that, I don't feel that I'm writing in my blog. Hence why my blog is full of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, I very rarely even bother using the spellchecker on it.

After much fiddling about with the modem I gave up, and felt a pang of relief that I wouldn't have to write anything. This was swiftly followed by an even bigger pang of guilt for allowing myself to experience the feeling of relief in regards to missing out a blog entry.

This morning the internet still wasn't working on anyones computer so Sophie decided to call our internet provider as it was clear that the fault wasn't with the router. They must have thought we were idiots. She was on the phone with them for about a minute and they went through the usual routine of going through the most basic of trouble shooting guides such as "is the modem correctly connected to the phone line" or "is the modem switched on?". Turns out that was what the problem was. Someone had unplugged the modem and not one of us had even thought of even considering that the modem could be a factor in the problems with the internet connection. We had become the very people that I often find myself laughing at. The idiot who has no idea why is computer won't switch on because he hasn't plugged it in, or the person who thinks the remote to his TV is broken when in fact he has forgotten to put any batteries in it.

But here I am, finally getting around to writing todays entry after a day spent procrastinating, following three good days of hard work on my various course projects. I think I have finally got my idea for my final major project. After months of bashing my head against the wall an idea for my feature script has finally popped out and I'm feeling really excited about it. If I can keep up the level of work that I have done for the past three days I'll be back on track with my work in no time.

No comments: