Tuesday 22 January 2008

Actor dies young

So, Heath Ledger is dead. I heard it on the news about an hour ago, and already his Wikipedia page, and imdb page have updated his status to deceased.

Whenever you first hear that someone is dead, whether it's someone you know personally, or just someone you know off of T.V. there is always that really strange feeling of disbelief. Like any minute now you're gonna find out it's a joke or there has been some sort of mistake. Of course, with people you know, particularly if they're close, it is that much more acute and takes longer to go away. I hear that if they're really close to you, that feeling never fully leaves.

I've never been a fan of Heath Ledger. He's not someone i've really idolised or admire. I would say that i've been generally indifferent to him. To me he's just another actor who has done some good films, but I'm feeling more sad about it than I think I should be. I wasn't sure why that was, but then I realised it probably has something to do with him being in the new Batman film as the Joker.

When I first found out he had been picked for the role I thought it was a terrible casting choice, very much like when I found out Daniel Craig had been cast as James Bond. But I turned out to be wrong about Daniel Craig, and after seeing the Dark Knight trailer I believe I'm wrong about Ledger. He looks (looked) amazing in the role, and while most people will disagree with me, I'm gonna go as far as saying that he looks like he could be a better Joker than Jack Nicholson was. Heath's Joker appears to have that real sinister edge that Nicholson's Joker was lacking; there was nothing really that scary about him and Jack Nicholson was more or less playing a really over the top characterisation of himself. Heath's Joker looks creepy, and seems more believable as an out of control homicidal maniac and I was really looking forward to seeing him face off against Batman in the new movie when it comes out. Though now I might have to wait a bit longer for it to come out.

Maybe that is the reason I am sad? The new Batman movie might be delayed as a result of Heath's tragic (yet possibly selfish for us expectant Batman fans) death.

Of course I am only joking, and I think having just acted as a clown like figure with a particularly morbid sense of humour, Heath Ledger might even appreciate the joke. No, what makes me sad when I hear about someone dying at a relatively young age is all that talent and potential going to waste. You start thinking about what they could've achieved; about how far they could've gone. Despite leading what many of us might consider a life to aspire to already, it's a tragic shame that his life has been cut short like this.

(I hope the Batman movie doesn't get delayed for too long)

No comments: