Tuesday 15 January 2008

Not much to talk about today

I guess today could be considered my first day back at University, even though it was for a half hour tutorial. And we really don't go into uni for that many lectures anyway. 1 day a week is about all we do and the rest of the time is meant to be spent working on our own. I remember when we first started the course two years ago, a lot of people were critisizing the fact that we don't have to go in that much for lectures. I had assumed from the start that's how it would be. Writing for the most part is a solitary activity so why should we need so much lesson time?

I suppose you could answer that back with "then why come to Uni at all if you don't need to go in?" Well, we do get a lot out of the lectures even if they are only once a week, plus we get alot of feedback and guidance from our tutors that you wouldn't be able to get if you really did work totally alone. You could end up making the same mistakes over an over, and with no one to point them out you might never learn from them.

Anyway enough of all that. I feel as if i'm being quite patronising to anyone who might be reading this. I don't feel I have much other stuff to talk about today, except perhaps my slight dissapointment that our landlord wasn't able to put up the punchbag my flatmate and I bought at the end of last term.

I had decided quite a while ago that I wanted to get fit but my finances for this term won't really cover the cost of gym membership, and over the last year or two I had discovered a new found interest in boxing. I've never been a big fan of most sports. I find football quite boring to watch and conversations that turn to the football are about as appealing to me as chewing on broken glass, but I do enjoy playing football (in both real life and on computer games). Sometimes. But boxing I do enjoy watching, though I have to admit that my interest in boxing grew out of playing the game Fightnight Round 3 on XBOX 360. I remember I used to love boxing as a kid, and it wasn't because of the film Rocky. I loved watching the Prince Naseem fights on ITV, and I remember being really upset when Tyson beat Frank Bruno.

So back to the beginning of last term, I had decided I was going to get fit but realised I was going to have to do it at home coz of money problems. I'm not sure why but for some reason I ended looking at the cost of punching bags. Of course boxers have to be in really good shape, and I knew that really, they only needed the most basic equipment to get fit. I found some really cheap bags on the internet and spoke to Paddy, my housemate, who used to do boxing and had expressed interest in doing it again. After speaking to our landlord, who said it was fine if we put up a bag and even offered to bring a drill round and put it up for us, we went halfs on the bag and ended up paying around £22 each for it. But when the landlord came round today he hadn't brought a drill bit bigger enough for the plugs to fit into the wall. Paddy thinks it'll be ages before he'll be back to do it, as the landlord hadn't just come to do the punchbag he had also come round to fix our tumbledryer, which hasn't worked since we'd moved in and we had been asking him to have it fixed for a while. I'm sure we won't have that long to wait.

No comments: