Monday 14 January 2008

I am lizard boy!!!

At last I have money!!!! Yes, the loans have come through today and I can finally get off the pasta and soup diet that I have been on for the last two weeks. I was getting so low on stuff that I ran out of pasta sauce and had to resort using my soup as a sauce instead. For some students at this time that in itself would be a luxury so I wasn't that bad off.

I am finding myself constantly cold at the moment though. It is ever since my housemate Paddy returned from Scotland last Thursday and it appears that he's brought the highland weather back with him as well. Well actually, it's cold in the house because when he got back he insisted that we not use the heating because it's costing us money. It's easy to say that when you're climatized to the frozen wastes of Scotland (okay it's a gross exageration but it's still further away from the equator than where I am now), and if there is one thing I really can't stand (among a whole host of other things), it is to be cold. I much rather be too hot than he even the slightest bit on the chilly side.

My other housemates don't seem to mind the subzero conditions that we are living in. They don't have to put up with having the coldest bedroom in the house either, that misfortune happens to be mine. The room used to be a garage that has been converted into a bedroom, which means that I don't think the walls are properly insuluated. Houses are meant to be built with two walls that are close together, one inside the other. This is because nothing insulates better than air, so it's likely that because my bedroom used to be a garage it only has one wall and therefore poor insulation.

Another cause for the rooms lack of heat, and an inability to stay warm for more than two seconds when the heating is turned off, is because of the huge patio doors I have at one end of my room. The big glass on those doors becomes freezing cold due to the low temperatures outside turning my patio doors into something like a villain from the Superman comics called the Parasite, (yes my geekiness comes through again) who sucks the energy out of anything. Heat, electricity, the stored up solar energy from Superman's Kryptonian cells, you name it the Parasite absorbs it. The sliding patio doors at the end of my room is no different as it literally sucks every last bit of heat out of the air before feeding on the heat in my body as well. Not content with that I think it has also been responsible for sucking out all of my motivation and any postive thoughts in my head as well. This is the reason why I am so far behind with my Uni work, and having moaning fits such as the ones I keep writing in these blogs

My housemate Sophie has started calling me lizard boy because of my constant moaning about being cold, and it really wouldn't suprise me if I did turn out to be cold blooded. In fact it is not the first time that someone has compared me to a a lizard. Back in junior school a couple of kids in my class decided that I resembled a lizard, which seemed to catch on with everybody else. So this and my transgendered surname meant not only did I have the appearance of a lizard but even worse than this, apparently I was a gender confused lizard as well. Life was hard back in those days.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

You REALLY ought to move your bed so it is next to the radiator. In fact I'm going to come down and make you do it now. (Anything to avoid work)

Also you should put a blanket under your sheet. As I will say when I come downstairs.....now.