Friday 1 February 2008

Feature script tutorial today

Right, I gotta leave for work in half an hour, I'm all changed into my uniform so i'm ready to leave as soon as the clock strikes half past. This also means that I gotta write this blog pretty quick, but it shouldn't be a problem as the way i've been writing recently it's been turning into more of a "stream of conciousness" type activity anyway.

I was thinking i should probably take a look back at what i've written in this thing since i've started it as I think there is a definate shift in what i've been writing, and one or two people I know have pointed this out as well. One of them said it's gotten better recently as you can tell it's not as thought out as before. My early efforts used to take me well over an hour sometimes, and despite the fact that I wanted to write it without caring what people reading it were thinking, i couldn't help but be affected by those kinds of thoughts. But i don't really have those thoughts that much anymore, mainly because I think the novelty of writing this has worn off so I'm putting in a different kind of effort now. It's more relaxed and I like that.

So, I had a tutorial for my feature script today. It went okay. My tutor didn't try to tell me my idea was bad, so I guess he okayed it (or, it's just too late now to be fussing around with ideas and I need to write something). Plot wise I should be fine, he said I know the genre pretty well so i shouldn't have any problems with that, but it's the emotional story that should be my main concern right now. He's helped me to see how important it is for the plot, in particular in reference to the main source of antagonism in the story, that I know what personal demons the characters have. Without explaining my idea here (and I don't think I can be bothered to do that right at this moment, it will take some time), this will not make that much sense. Suffice it to say that at least one of the characters needs some sort of tragic or traumatized past that will effect or even cause the main problems in my story. Confused? Probably.

At the end of the meeting it was agreed that I should have at least half a first draft of the script done by the beginning of March, it sounds like a lot but at the same time, when you get on a good roll it is possible. Besides I've written a whole 60 page script in 24 hours before, so having 45 - 60 pages written in a month for a half a first draft doesn't sound like a particularly difficult feat to achieve does it?

No comments: