Thursday 7 February 2008

A new look for the blog

I've given the blog a new look. When I wrote my last post (yes it was the day before yesterday - so what?) I thought I might try out something new. I don't really know how to fully customize it for myself so I chose one of the templates available on the site. I think the template was called "Harbour", and it kind of has that beach front theme. Seeing as I'm living in Bournemouth not far from the beach (well, it's about 2 miles away, and technically I'm in Poole), it would seem quite an appropriate choice.

I suppose I should talk about the progress I'm making on my work, though I'm starting to get tired of writing about that all the time now. Even when I'm not writing about it on this blog, it is quite a popular topic of conversation with me and my friends as well, because most of my friends here are scriptwriters too. Some of us have even taken to banning the use of certain words as well, such as the word "dissertation". My house mate Paddy insists that we should call it "the long essay", or "a series of short interlinked essays" - or something like that. I've taken it a step further and insisted that any talk of the "dissertation" be forbidden, almost like I'm refusing to acknoweldge its existence. I know that is the metaphorical equivalent of burrying my head in very deep sand, but everyone has their own special way of dealing with crisis so don't knock my own tried and tested methods.

But I will say that I'm starting to enjoy the writing of my major. I'm kind of attacking it from all angles at the moment. I've been fleshing out my characters, planning out the plot, writing a treatment, and I'll probably start writing scenes that probably won't even end up in the finished product tomorrow. This isn't usually the way I work when writing. In the past I generally plan the thing out from an idea, into a synopsis, then an outline, treatment, and then a step outline before I even start writing the script.

Most of the time this is probably the best way to work because it allows you to develop your stories in a very linear and organised way. But I've got so many ideas in my head for this script, and a variety of possibilities of which way it could go that I have to get everything out onto the page in anyway I can. So at the moment my final major screenplay is in a slightly chaotic state of development but I'm finding it quite an exciting way to work. Anyway, it shouldn't be long before chaos eventually gives way to order and I'll have a very well planned out script to write.

No comments: