Friday 8 February 2008

quickie before work

I've decided to write in my blog now before I go to work rather than waiting until after work. Chances are, if I wait until later to do my blog there's a good chance it won't get done. Either I'll forget that it needs to be done when I get in, or I will remember that it needs to be done and wait until later to do it but forget about it anyway. Also if my mates are out tonight and somehow convince me to go out after work I'll not get it done.

The downside of doing this now though is that I have to get it done within 20mins before I have to leave to get my bus. Another downside is that between now and last night all I have done is slept and write. Like I said yesterday, I can't keep talking about my uni work in every post because it will bore me. However, if I keep up with what I've been like today and yesterday evening there will be little less to talk about. I have been going non stop all day today since about 9 this morning and I'm feeling pretty disapointed that I have to go to work at blockbusters for the next 4 or 5 hours. And it gets worse. Tomorrow I have to be in work from 2 in the afternoon until 10 in the evening leaving me little time for anything else. 2 to 10 shifts are the worst shifts you can do in a job like this. It takes away most of your daytime and deprives you of most of the evening to.

I used to work fulltime in a conveinance store sized Budgens about 5 years ago and my shifts were exclusively 3pm to 11pm, five days a week with only one day off at the weekend. It became a pretty depressing job as it deprived me of a lot of my social life, and my manager kept promising to start rotating the kinds of shifts for me to do but he never got round to doing it. I think it was because I was the only supervisor that could work the evening shifts and they were shit with coming up with a replacement. I think I lasted 6 months in that job. I quit one day when they decided I should be working the whole weekend and there was a big barbecue on on the Friday.They'd known for some time that I was fed up with working the evening shifts all the time and I can tell it was going to be a long time before they did anything about it. I had told them in advanced that I needed the Friday off but they still scheduled me for it so I didn't go in.

When I came in for the next shift there was a big argument between me and the store manager, and the two assistant managers. When I said how fed up I was with working the evening shifts the store manager, Charlie, told me because of the stunt I pulled he had no intention of moving my shifts around now - this is when I told them where to go and walked out. I felt pretty good about that.

Of course, Blockbusters isn't like that. It's only a part time job, and the hours are flexible there. I'm just really really really really bored of working there now. I've been working for blockbusters for almost 5 years now since I started going back to college and I can't wait to quit that job the moment I'm finished with uni.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

I heart quitting jobs