Monday 25 February 2008

Back again (but not really)

I'm back!

I never actually went anywhere, but I thought i'd start today's post with that because I'm posting this as a note on facebook, which is something I haven't done for a while. A few people I spoke to this weekend were asking about my blog and had thought I'd stop writing it because I wasn't publishing it as a note on facebook anymore. Basically I had gotten a little lazy and got an application off facebook that imports links to my blog everytime I write a new one, saving me the hassel of doing it through the sometimes annoying note importer. I suppose the only downside to having this application is that it doesn't show up in the news feed when I have written something. But I wasn't too bothered by that. I thought if people were interested they would still be reading it directly from my eblogger address. As it turns out that's probably not the case. It seems having a message pop up on the news feed saying "Daniel has published a new note" is the only way to get most people to have a look at it.

A month ago I probably would have said that it isn't important to me if people are reading it or not, but I would just be lying to myself. Without coming across sounding needy, I want people to read my blog. Suprisingly, a few people seem to think that they aren't meant to be reading it. It's quite funny but a few people I know guiltily own up to reading my blog, like it's some sort of secret diary and I'm going to be angry if I find out they've been looking at it. I guess it's because blogs often have that "dear diary" sort of feel to them. But rather than being your most secret inner thoughts, instead they're your thoughts written down for the purpose of being read by other people. There is something quite vain and egotistical about that. At least that's what I used to think, but of course I can't have those opinions now because I have one myself. What a sellout i've become eh?

I'll just wrap up by saying thank you if you're still reading this thing, because If you aren't reading it then I am just talking to myself. Which would be kind of pointless wouldn't it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Still reading your blog Dan :). As I work nights it's nice to catch up on your blogs in bulk in the quieter momemts. I genuienly enjoy reading them. Thinking about doing my own but as all I do most of the time is work, sleep, work I'mnot sure how interesting that would be to read lol. Anyways keep up the good work!

Kirk

ooh p.s. who's gone travelling? anyone I know?
Take care buddy.