Sunday 24 February 2008

The hangover compromise

I had a great night last night. Got to see loads of people that I haven't seen for a while - some of them I hadn't seen for years - and we had a laugh. As you would expect I was pretty drunk by the end of it, and I seemed to be suffering from the onset of an early hangover for the entire night - Almost everyone I spoke to got to hear about the huge headache I had. I have no idea why it started so soon. I think it's because I went to see my dad in the afternoon and had a few drinks there before I went to the party at about 8 o'clock. Before I had even got there I had a headache. I reasoned that if I just drank lots more the headache would go away but it didn't. Funnily enough it got worse, but I persevered anyway. By the time I got home and in to bed at about 3am my stomach was churning and I felt sick.

Generally it's never the alchohol that I've been drinking that causes me to feel like this. The alchohol will give me headaches but it doesn't usually make me feel like I've swallowed a washing machine. The only stuff that causes that is too much sugar. I drank far too many J.D. and cokes that night, and it's always the way with JD and coke, or alchopops, to make me feel like a sick child at a birthday party who has eaten far too much ice cream and jelly before spending a few hours jumping around on a bouncy castle. My stomach was rumbling and making so much noise it was keeping me from getting to sleep, but eventually the alchohol did it's job and allowed me to pass out.

Amazingly when I woke up in the morning the headache was gone... It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It's like I got drunk and suffered the after effects of a heavy night of drinking at the same time. The only evidence left over from the previous night's bout of alchohol consumption was fur on my tongue, and a taste in my mouth like a cat had decided to shit in it while I was asleep. It left me wondering if this was a better way to enjoy a night out; get drunk and hungover at the same time, thus saving me from a day of harsh recovery. I think I would prefer that. Being drunk with a headache is a bonus because it can halve the amount of pain you would have to endure the next day. From time to time we all do things when we're drunk that we live to regret the next day, but wouldn't the painful reminders of your previous nights frolics be less painful if you didn't have to go through the physical pain of a hangover as well as the emotional pain of embarrasment and regret?

Perhaps... Or maybe you might be of the belief that the physical pain itself is some kind of karma for what you did the day before. But we'd all like to be spared that karmic retribution everyonce in a while wouldn't we? Or I'd be happy with the compromise I was given last night because I was definately thankful for it this morning.

No comments: