Saturday 1 March 2008

Happy birthday me!

Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday dear meeeeeeeeeee. Happy birthday to me!

It's my birthday today. If you couldn't tell by the opening gambit of today's blogging, I'm 26 years old today, and to address a question that is frequently asked of every birthday you have from 21 onwards - that question being "how does it feel?" - the answer is..... Don't ask me that question.

I'm not actually as sensitive about my age as I make out to be. The main thing that bothers me about being 26 is that I don't feel 26 years old, in fact I feel like more of a child than the people I'm at uni with, many of whom are younger than me. I don't feel mature enough. Not only that but I don't look 26 but looking young for my age is a feature that I know I'm going to appreciate in the years to come, I just wish I could act my age. Sometimes.

Another funny thing about being 26 is that I was getting used to being 25. I almost felt like I should perhaps permamently stay 25. It's a nice age. I don't have anything to say to justify why I think that, it's something that I feel... I don't know why.

But let's move away from these self reflective musings and talk about what I've done with myself today. I have enjoyed myself thus far. My mum and brother came round last night but unfortunately I was working so my housemates had the chore of looking after them, which they did brilliantly. Then today I went to town with my family, showed them the beach, the pier, and even took a trip through the Bournemouth aquarium.

Aquariums and zoos, or anything that showcases anything living in a cage, does funny things to me now. There were some beautiful fish in that place but I couldn't help feeling sorry for them. It actually made me feel sad to see these animals that could be free in the huge endless expanse of the ocean confined to a tank so small. The equivalent for a human would be having to spend your life in a room no bigger than one of those London bendy buses.... So we had a really good time at the aquarium.

"You're always doing that Daniel. You have to choke the joy and happiness out of even the most beautiful of human experiences with your morbid and depressing observations. Just switch off will you!"

Okay. I will.

I did have a fun time today. Because I was with my mum, and I remembered that it is mothers day tomorrow I quickly popped into Clintons to look for a card - something I really hate to do. Not the card buying part, but just the fact that Clintons is so shit for cards. All the joke cards in there are the same ones they've been doing for the past 10 years. Every member of my family has probably recieved the same card 5 times already, I might as well dig it back out again put a new envelope around it and give it back to them again.

Im getting off the point of why I wanted to mention the card shop in the first place. It was my shock to find a mother's day card that is potentially very creepy, pervy, and just plain wrong: There was a card, done in a tasteful and elegant way so it's not one of those joke ones, but what made it so wrong was who it was meant for: To my friends mum....

To my friends mum.

If I didn't think that it would be read completely the wrong way - which is an inevitable possibility - I would be tempted to buy that card for a friends mum... as a joke of course. But some jokes really should be left in the realm of hypothetical chatter such as this.

I'll sign off now just by wishing myself happy birthday once more: "Happy birthday me! Yay!"

And also, a thank you to everyone who has sent me happy birthday wishes: "Thank you for the happy birthday wishes"

Laters

1 comment:

Sophie said...

Yeh, blah. Happy Birthday etc.

If the next blog isn't about the meal I'm never reading your blog again.

So there.