Monday 7 July 2008

Boredom filller

I'm writing here, talking to absoloutely no one because I am bored. I have experienced new untold levels of frustration today and I'm surprised that I'm still alive and not had an anyeurism yet from all the straining and screaming that I have been doing. I dunno what it is but everything about the world I'm finding very tedious right now and I have little patience for anything....

I'm in the process of editing the next installment of Dan & Eye with Geoff, well, I say in the process of, but in reality we're still trying to get the files to work in the editing software that Geoff is using. I've tried countless times to play them on my p.c. and we've tried streaming them off Geoff's pc onto the TV through the xbox but the files were in some weird format that is solely exclusive to Sony camcorders.

At present we're waiting for all of the files to convert into mpeg2's so we can edit them but its taking ages. To pass the time we seem to be watching a nature documentary on baboons. An interest fact about the female of baboons species: during mating season their bottom swells to let the males know they're ready for some nookie. Pretty cool uh? I thought that technique was exclusive to human females but apparently baboons are doing it too.

Another interesting fact David Attenborough has just pointed out to us is how the size of an apes brain will dictate the size of the groups they knock about with. The bigger the brain, the bigger the social group. He later goes on to say that forming social groups may have been one of the keys to our evolution as the bigger the social group the greater the need for more effective and advanced forms of communication - leading to the eventual develop of language in humans.

In another species they quite humorously show how they pretty much play psychological warfare with each other, just for something to do. Like the term coined by Satre: hell is other people, for these guys its hell is other baboons. All they seem to use their sophistacted (for apes at least) modes of communication for is to wind each other up and make each other miserable. Ape experts have actually detected similar symptoms of stress in these apes that can be found in humans, such as ulscers. In one instance we see an ape trying to get on with some female, and the alpha leader of the pack just keeps hanging around near by. He's not interested in the female or anything like that, he just wants to put the other male off his game, something we human males often refer to as "cock blocking".

It looks like the files have finally converted now so I'm off to try and edit this mother... So long!

1 comment:

Sophie said...

That thing about apes hanging around with people of similar intelligence is interesting.

Makes me wonder why I hang with you chumps.